The Big or Eusebius Church in Arnhem is a typical late Gothic church, which was built between 1452 and approx. 1570. The church is situated exactly where a Roman church, dedicated to the Saint Martinus, was once situated in the 9th century, literally and figuratively in the centre of the old, medieval Arnhem.
Above illustrations show the development of the Eusebius Church from the 9th Century. Illustrations are based on drawings by A. Warffemius.
In the 15th century, the church- and city councillors of Arnhem decided to build a larger, more representative church. In 1452 the construction of the late-gothic church was started. In 1453, the abbey in Prüm handed the relics of the Saint Eusebius to the Arnhem Parish Church. For this reason it was decided to name the new church after Eusebius. Due to repeated setbacks, amongst others financial ones, the construction was only completed more than one century later. One of the big promoters of the church, Duke van Gelre, was buried in the Eusebius. His tomb on the chancel still is an important attraction.
By the end of the 16th century the church became Protestant, which influenced its interior considerably. Statues, altars, frescos were removed. By the end of the 19th century the church was in a bad condition. It required a restoration which would take 36 years. By the year 1930 the church was largely renovated.