Former pastors
893 First mention of a Romanesque church in Arnhem, St. Martin’s church
1420-1422 Extension of the St. Martin’s Church, under supervision of Jacob van Boege.
Construction of current church
1452 Construction starts of a new, late-gothic church, next to the old, Roman Martin’s Church which was demolished later on.
1453 The abbey in Prüm hands the relics of the St. Eusebius Church to the Arnhem Parish Church
1479 The clock of the old tower is moved from the old to the new tower on Easter Saturday evening. Construction of the south portal.
1503 St. Anna Chapel to the north of the tower is completed.
1511 Demolition of the final remnants of the old Church. Construction of the transept is started.
1536 Choir aisle is completed.
1538 Duke Charles van Gelre is buried in the Big Church
1550 The substructure of the tower is elevated by almost seven meters.
1560-1568 Construction of Church Hall. Construction of entire church is completed.
From Catholic to Protestant Church
1578 The city of Arnhem becomes Protestant. In the following years the Catholics are banned from public and religious life.
1579 Catholics are not allowed to celebrate Masses in the Eusebius anymore. The building becomes a Protestant Church.
1599-1609 Everything which still reminds of the Catholic worship is removed or demolished. The reliquary of Eusebius has already been brought to a safe place in Deventer and returns to Arnhem in 1622.
Renewal and Deterioration
1633 Lightning stroke and fire in the crossing tower on the nave’s roof.
1650 The tower is elevated, amongst others to create space for a carillon.
1737 Lightning stroke again, in the tower.
1783 Replacement of the dilapidated gothic north portal by a portal in typical 18th century, classicistic style.
1851 Total renovation of the interior.
1893 The church is in a bad condition. The Vereeniging tot restauratie van de Grote of St. Eusebiuskerk (=Association for restoration of the Big or St. Eusebius Church) tries to raise money for the restoration.
1894-1930 First extensive restoration, takes up 26 years. Chancel, nave and transept are renovated, just like the interior.
Demolished and rebuilt
1944 At 17th September 1944 British parachutists land in the surroundings of Arnhem. The Battle of Arnhem starts. On the night of 19 September the church burns down completely.
1945 Probably in March 1945 the tower largely collapses. Parts of the nave are destroyed as well. The Big or Eusebius Church changes into a ruine.
1947 New roofs are placed on chancel and transept. It’s the start of the restoration and rebuilt.
1961 On Saturday 21st October the church is officially inagurated, in the presence of Queen Juliana.
1964 The tower is completed, 20 years after the Battle of Arnhem.
New Restoration
1973 Severe storm damage. A part of a vault comes down. The building is thoroughly checked. A part of the applied natural stone appears to be severely weathered.
1981-1994 New restoration of church and tower. Within a couple of years pieces come down again.
2009 Scaffold around the tower to offer protection against falling rocks, to allow thorough examination of the building and in preparation for the restoration.
2011 25th August: Start of renovation of De Lantaarn, the upper part of the tower.

The tower had not been restored yet, when British parachutists landed in Arnhem in September 1944 for the Operation Market Garden. During battles between the British and the German fire broke out in the church. The wooden interior and roofs were destroyed. Shortly after the battle it seemed damage could still be repaired. However, in the winter of 1944-1945 the tower further collapsed, destroying the nave as well. After the war it was decided to renovate the Big or Eusebius Church again, ‘larger and more beautiful than ever’, according to the historian of the Eusebius Church, A.G. Schulte.